Thursday, July 1, 2010

in. print.

I saw my words in print today.

It was just my local newspaper, the Acorn, and I wasn't credited. But that's my photo. And that whole big article? I wrote it. Two months of press releases, and I'm finally published. It's a big little thing.

I met all those kids, too. I talked to them, and they told me what they liked to do and how they got the idea to use their iPhones to make flash cards instead of writing everything out on paper. (FIFTH GRADERS HAVE iPHONES.) And you know why they said they did it? Because it helps them learn better and lets them study anywhere. Also, and I quote, "It's a really great way to save paper!" They were sincerely concerned about preserving the environment, and I would like to think this means that for every particle of self-centered laziness they absorb as a generation, they're also learning to protect the things that are important and irreplaceable.

These kids were not bullshit. They were excited to tell me what they were doing and how they were innovating and how it was helping their classmates learn, too. And now there's a story about them, and it's in a shitty little local newspaper, but it's my story, and my hometown, and that photo is on the front page, and they got a whole page all to themselves. Minus ad space of course.

Those are good kids. And I knew it was a good story.

2 comments: